France is one of the top tourism destination thanks to the huge diversity of landscapes and its rich history. You can find a lot of travel information related to France with France Diplomatie service.
Things to do in France
The good thing with France is that whether you are looking to practice sports, to discover history and culture or simply to have good time, it offers a lot of opportunities. We invite you to discover the top 10 of most visited places in France.
If you want to practice sports, here are the best spots :
- Skying : the Alps in the East (with the Mont Blanc, highest mountain peak in Europe) and the Pyrénées in the South West are the two mountains where you can practice skying from November to March.
- Scuba diving : Corsica, the island in the South East of France is the place where you can practice Scuba diving.
- Hiking : very popular in the mountain areas (Alps, Pyrénées and also Corsica).
- Sailing : in the Mediterranean sea (South East) or in the Atlantic ocean (more windy).
- Horse riding : a lot of places around big cities and in the countryside offer the possibility to practice horse riding, it is especially nice in the forests or the beach.
- Tennis and soccer are the 2 sports mostly practised in France and fields are available in almost every city.
If you are staying in Paris, make sure to check out our list of best places to have a tea time in Paris and then also our list of top restaurants for a romantic dinner in Paris. Also, if you want to stay next to the Eiffel Tower, check out our selection of luxury hotels close to the Eiffel Tower.
Then, if you wish to spend a dream weekend in the countryside, check out our post about the best hotels less than an hour from Paris.
Cultural events in France
France is well known for its rich culture and history. A lot of events are organized in France round the year :
- The Festival de Cannes (international movie exhibition) : during 10 days around mid May in Cannes (South East of France).
- Nice Carnival (Giant parade) : during 2 weeks in Winter, in Nice (South East of France).
- Lille Braderie (large second hand trade market) : the first week end of September in Lille (North of France).
Sports competitions in France
- Six Nations tournament (rugby) : rugby tournament with England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy every year between January and March.
- Roland Garros (tennis) : Grand Slam tennis tournament in Paris during two weeks at the end of May and the beginning of June.
- Le Tour de France (cycling) : during 3 weeks in July, cycling competition through the country.
How to travel to France
The easiest way to reach France is to fly to Paris. Roissy and Orly are the two airports around Paris. From there, you can reach all the regions by plane, car or train. There is also an international airport in Nice, next to Monaco, with a lot of flights to foreign destinations.
Best time to visit France
It really depends on where you are going to! You can easily have 15°C of difference between Corsica and North of France. So let’s take it region by region :
- Paris : best season to visit Paris is summer (June-August). In July, the weather is perfect and the sunset happens around 10 PM which leaves beautiful evenings. In August, the city is less crowded but a lot of things are closed for holidays.
- French Riviera (South East) : any time during the year is good except July and August as this is the place where all European folks are coming for their holidays so you’ll really want to avoid that. Winter is rarely cold in this area and it is not unusual to cross 20°C in Spring.
- Alps and Pyrenees (Mountains) : if you want to practice skying, then it will be between November and March. March is usually the best time as it isn’t too cold and there is still enough snow to practice. For hiking, Summer is the best period.
- Remainder of the country : winter can be cold in France. It isn’t unusual to have snow during winter in the countryside. Outside of main tourism areas, the best time to visit France is certainly summer. Spring and autumn are also ok, especially in the South of France where it is rarely too cold. The West of France benefits from the oceanic climate which makes it a temperate place.
Useful links about France
Our selection of websites to learn more about France :
- Les Etangs de Corot – Junior Suite
- Barrière Le Fouquet’s Paris – Executive Champs Elysées Room
- Buddha Bar Hotel Paris – Superior Room
- La Chartreuse du Val St-Esprit – Deluxe room
- Monte-Carlo Beach – Exclusive room
- Majestic Barrière Cannes – Junior Suite
- Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel & Spa Théoule-sur-Mer – Junior Suite
- Tiara Château Hôtel Mont Royal Chantilly – Royal Room
- Prince de Galles Paris – Makassar Suite
- Etoile Saint Honoré Hotel Paris – Prestige Suite
- Auberge du Jeu de Paume Chantilly – Deluxe room park view
- Trianon Palace Versailles – Deluxe Park View Room
- Intercontinental Paris Marceau – Executive Room
- Tiara Château Mont Royal Chantilly Hotel – Penthouse Suite
- Dolce Chantilly – Suite
- Mercure Lille Metropole – Privilege Room
- Château Eza Eze – Royal Suite
- Radisson Blu 1835 Cannes – Paradise Suite